Friday, June 5, 2009

First week teaching

So I finished my first week of teaching, and although I think it is going to be an amazing year with these kids, I still know that there will be some struggles. There is one class of very young kids that don't understand English very well, so I think they believe that what I say to them is "go crazy! you only live once, so be as wild as you possibly can", because that is exactly how they are. They are cute though, so I will let them live.

I am having a good time getting to know my fellow teachers and the people that have businesses in the same building as my school. Slowly and surely I am going to learn Korean, so that I can interact and build real relationships with these people, but for now it is just a lot of pointing and smiling.

The food here is the bomb biggity! I love it, it is way more healthy, its cheap, and it tastes good. What more can you ask for? Oh, well, certain foods also keep the yang up if ya know what I mean, wink. Not that I need that, but it is good to know.
I thought that I was poisoned yesterday, because I took a sip of my water bottle and it tasted like ammonia and made me feel dizzy and anxious for about two hours! Keep trying, but I am here to stay. Its going to take a lot more than that to pull this mountain down.

Yesterday I went out with a fellow teacher from Wisconsin, a guy named Donovan. We went to a really classy bar and ate some chicken mixed with vegetables and covered in a very spicy hot sauce. I made the mistake of ingesting the hottest pepper that has ever come near my mouth and my face was literally set on fire. I am black now. We talked about life and had a good ole time. Today I am going with him and my school's principal to look at some books. I hope to find a Korean grammar book to help me out, and I am also looking for some supplemental stuff for the Bible studies that I am going to be teaching...after this then my weekend will really start.

1 comment:

  1. Cool Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend..

    hahahaha....."They are cute though, so I will let them live." I always enjoy your posts. Write me some comedy. I need to laugh....

    ReplyDelete