Thursday, June 11, 2009

2nd Week of teaching...

Well, here we go, I hope some of you have been keeping up. There is a lot of my everyday journeys that I am keeping out, not because it is private, but that it may seem insignificant to most people, but it is definitely a weird circumstance for me. Side note: I have been spelling definitely wrong for several years (and I am supposed to be a champion speller). Flabberghast!

Anyways, ok, this week was wonderful. I am getting to know the kids a lot better and they are always excited to see me, which gives me a warm fuzzy feeling every time. There are some difficult classes and a few difficult students, but all in all I love them and am looking forward to each new day with them. My most advanced class is a group of three girls, and they are sweet, respectful, smart, and I just taught them how to play spades and they love it!! Soon there will be a widespread Spades outbreak in Korea and I will be the one they can thank for it. I am such a catalyst for the insignificant things in life.

Each time I see my students I think of their future and where they will be when they are my age. What type of person will they be? Will they live life for Jesus? Will they be successful? I hope so, and I also pray that God will allow me a foothold into their lives where I can show them Jesus as much as I can, even though I am not in any means the most dynamic person for the job.

I am also getting to know some of the adults in my classes and they know that I am Christian, and that it is something very important to me. On Monday a 22 year old man(boy?) told me he didn't like Christians, but what he said he meant was that he didn't like religion. I asked if we could still be friends and he smiled and said yes. I am not going to make him a project or anything, but I am going to do the best I can to love him and make sure that he knows the truth of the gospel before this whole thing is done. Tonight I was able to share my heart with another man that is in one of my adult classes. He is an atheist, but he is still deeply concerned with the lack of morality that is sweeping Korea due to the West's influence. I told him how I lived and he expressed that I was the only young western man that he has ever met that has "conservative" values. I shared my testimony with him, as well as, the gospel and he was amazed! I hope I can still communicate God's love to him throughout this next year.

Pray for me people! I have a lot on my mind and God is opening up several doors for ministry. I feel totally empowered and I am ready to lay it all down and love the Korean people while I am here. My desire is for these people to have true and lasting communion with Jesus, and I am fully convinced that the Holy Spirit is moving amongst these people. God is gooooood people, and my trust in Him grows everyday. He will accomplish what His will demands!

2 comments:

  1. awesome stories Devin!! I'm really excited for you, and will definitely make it a point to be praying for you throughout this journey. And even if you think it's insignificant to us, keep some kind of journal on this blog or on paper...you'll be really sad later if you don't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Devin... you crack me up. I spent some time reading all your posts and it seems like you have already had quite an adventure and now have some life-long memories to go along with them. We will keep you in our prayers, for God is definitely going to use you in a big way. May the Holy Spirit guide your words and your steps to those He wishes to see come to Him!

    I also just want to tell you how proud I am to know you, that you have stepped out and obeyed Jesus's command to "Go." You have gone and may he Bless you for it!

    ReplyDelete